Thursday 8 March 2012

Mario Kart would be a better testing method

It's Thursday, the only day in the week where I don't have to go to uni. It was nice to be able to lie in until 7.45 and not have to sprint to the train. I especially liked having the time to be able to finish all of my breakfast. 

I had my hazards perception test this morning at the Vicroads office in Camberwell and Dad is taking a day off and had offered me a lift there. 

For those of you who are not living in Victoria, the hazards perception test is one test you need to pass before getting your probationary licence. The test comprises a series of videos of driving situations and they are displayed as if you were behind the wheel. In each video you are asked to click the mouse when you would make a specifically indicated change to your driving. For example to click when you would overtake, slow down or make a right-hand turn. It is a very bizarre method of testing and to be honest, I think Mario Kart is a more realistic simulation of driving than the hazards test. Unless you have no idea about the road rules it seems to be testing your ability to play a certain type of video game. It seems unnecessary, given that you will encounter actual hazards and be assessed how respond in an actual car in the driving test. 

My appointment was at 9.10am and whilst Camberwell is close by, Dad and I were aiming to leave about 30 minutes early because the traffic at Camberwell junction is always terrible.  We were just about to go when my sister headed out the door to go to uni, car keys in hand. My mum had taken her car to work earlier, since her back surgery she isn't able to tolerate the jolting of train travel, leaving Dad's in the driveway. 

There was a "mix up", lets say, regarding my Dad, my sister and who was to be driving Dad's car today which ended in Dad trying to get a cab. Usually there are up to 8-10 taxis just waiting there at the rank at the train station nearby at any time of the day. Today there were none, so Dad had to call one.

Thankfully it turned up pretty swiftly, and I got to the testing centre smack on 9.10am and I jumped out of the cab and jogged into the office whilst Dad fixed up the bill. Dad remained very calm beforehand but let a measured amount of his frustration out after I had finished and passed at Brunetti. I had a delicious, skinny hot chocolate and wished a could eat a macaroon, they look so yummy (almond meal is not to compatible with the nut allergy). 

One step closer to my licence. Two weeks and two days until my driving test!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment =)