Sunday 19 May 2013

Is 30 the new 20?

One of my friends from high school shared this video to facebook the other day and I'm glad that, for once, I bothered to open the link. My post will make more sense if you take the time to do the same.

In this video Meg Jay articulates a lot of the things that have been bothering me lately. 



I am 22 years old. 

To the gymnasts I coach, 22 sounds so grown up. The other day I was asked by a 7 year old whether I was "married yet". To my primary school aged gymnasts, I have lived and experienced every part of life that they can imagine right now. I have finished primary school, I have finished secondary school and I even have one university degree. 

Children are very literal at this age, and until I told them otherwise, most of my primary school aged gymnasts assumed that all I must be a full-time gymnastics coach, because that is the only thing they have seen me do. Their beautiful little brains don't have a very well formed idea (yet) about what comes next in life after education. The thing lots of these kids see as the next step in life is marriage and children, I suspect because that is what just about all the adults they know (their parents, their friends' parents) are doing. 

From my side of the fence, this assumption is an interesting one. Once upon a time, these little girls would basically have been correct. However, nowadays, the time between finishing education and marrying for the first time is, for most people, getting much longer. 

In previous generations this was not the norm. According to the ABS, in 1974 the average age when getting married for the first time was 23.3 for men and 20.9 for women. We can draw from this that a man who went to university for 3 or 4 years would have roughly 1-3 years as an unmarried adult post-tertiary education, or 5 years if he completed high school and went straight into work. Women marrying for the first time in 1974 would probably have been still in their final years of uni or have had 2-3 years working as an unmarried adult post-high school. 

The most recent data has Australian men getting married for the first time, on average, at 31.4 and women at 29.2, with rates of pre-marital cohabitation approaching 80%. Once tertiary educated women had about 1-3 years of freedom post tertiary education, they now have 8-9 years. 

Whilst the time between education and "settling down" approaches an entire decade in duration, I don't feel like I have very much quality information about what I should be doing with this time. 

Should I still be studying at undergrad level? Should I have started my career already? Should I be in a serious relationship? Am I going to die alone if I don't start one soon? Do I want marriage and children in my future? Am I letting some of my strengths and abilities waste away?

I have a lot of questions and I lot of worries.

Meg Jay thinks that the twenties is a "developmental sweet spot" for adulthood, the time to lay the foundations for the type of adult life you want to lead. She encourages "twenty somethings" to reclaim their twenties and make purposeful decisions about career, love and happiness. 

"You are so young!" I keep being told and I guess I am. But here's the thing, I'm not going to be 22 forever and I don't feel like I'm building a happy future for myself. I don't feel like what I'm doing now is "setting myself up" for the kind of real life adulthood I once envisioned for myself. I don't feel like I'm building anything, I'm just going through the motions. 

Sure, I'm studying, but am I really gaining any of this valuable "identity capital" here and now in my twenties? I have a degree but I have a hard time accepting that my arts degree could be considered an achievement. I also have a solid part-time employment history, however, I am still very unsure about what kind of career I want. I am drifting in a direction, but I'm lacking in conviction.

As for love and happiness... The long term status on both of those things can be illustrated with the image below:


Both love and happiness are something that are filed snugly in the "too hard" basket. This has been a conscious choice made firstly out of a knowledge of my limitations, but remains out of anxiety and fear. I can know see that fear and anxiety is increasingly the rationale behind most of my choices. 

Happiness is something that is difficult to define. It is more of a by-product of a healthy, well functioning life than a "thing" in its own right. Happiness to me does not mean walking around in a bliss like state. Life will always have ups and downs. My definition of happiness is when, more often than not, you wake up in the morning looking forward to or excited about something you are going to do that day. An active desire to partake in one's own existence, if you like. 

Now I'm not saying that I'm miserable, I'm not. But it has been a long time since I felt generally positive about going about my daily life. 

I am anxious about the fact that I don't have a clear picture of what I want. What I know for sure is that I don't want to find myself sitting alone in a caravan on the edge of a forest, surrounded by cats and undergraduate degrees, wondering, "what happened?" At the moment, that's where I feel like I'm headed. 


That being said, I know it's not all doom and gloom. I think that Jay is right about most "twenty somethings" being only a few well considered choices away from a much happier life and I hope that I am no exception. Part of my problem is I am well aware of how important the decision I make now are, I know they count and will have a dramatic impact of the rest of my life. 

I know that, as a woman, I would be foolish not to give any thought to my reproductive options. Whilst I don't know if I want a family, I don't want to get to 35 or 40 and find out that I do out of discovering that I can't. I know that if I want certain career options to be available to me, there is study I need to complete and that it is easier to do that now than later. I know that if I don't want to end up alone in a forest, surrounded by cats, I will probably have to put myself "out there" eventually.

However, this knowledge, instead of helping me, makes me very anxious and fearful that I'm messing up my life. 

http://www.gifday.com/cat-chasing-tail/

I'm chasing my tail. I'm trying hard to solve this conundrum by myself, but I'm not getting very far. You can't keep doing the same things you've always done and expect a different outcome. 

To use Jay's analogy, I am a 22 year old aeroplane just leaving Melbourne International Airport, gaining speed toward the end of the runway, still unsure whether I want to end up in Los Angeles or Greenland. What is become apparent is that, after spending so much time mulling this over in my own head, I need to employ an air traffic controller, of sorts, to help to me make the choice.

25 comments:

  1. Dear Eliza, I have just re-read your words, and wondered if I might have a set of CD's that could work as your air traffic controller... I will post them to you if you wish? The important thing I see you doing is that you THINK, and are DOING, both very important attributes that I am sure will eventually get you to a destination, even though you may not know where that is exactly right now.
    With love and hugs, always,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much obliged for the energizing web journal posting! Essentially put your blog entry to my most loved blog list and will search forward for extra updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Epilepsy,Hepatitis,Parkinson disease.Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can provide you a perfect solution that aids in improving the structure of the essay by following conventional structure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our assignments contain all informative and logical information within a very affordable rate, and we deliver other assignments like case study assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Auditing is a process of scrutiny and ratification of accounting records and statements, for evaluate and analyze the reliability of the records and statements.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The case study concerning the punishment of the management is projecting in the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love and appreciate the piece of information you’ve shared. Thank you. Do you like the feel of nature??, do you like climbing hill?? Then you may need Best Electric Scooter for Climbing Hill which makes it fun and easy. Buy yours today


    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been searching all over the internet for this piece of information. Thank you for sharing. I have good news for nursing student in search for quality and non-plagiarized assignment help for we as nursing care plan writing services meets you needs on timely manner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful content will be occasional visitor. Our team has professional writers who handles data analysis assignment with 100% perfection and delivers quality work free from plagiarism. Place your order today on data analysis assignment help and get work done

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. allow me to express my gratitude to the writer of this blog. I must admit it was helpful and looking forward to more info similar to this. In case you are looking for nursing dissertation writers then nursing dissertation help is a place to be. Get work done now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this wonderful information looking forward for more the best inflatable hot tub with seats offers a practical and economical option to relax and enjoy a quiet and peaceful evening after a hard day at work or in the morning before tackling your day’s schedule. All from 2 Person Inflatable Hot Tub

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great info you have shared with us. Thumb up. If you are looking for help DNP ProJet Writers then with a hot deal to offer to you for great output free from plagiarism and delivered on a timely manner. Get high score with DNP Project Writers

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful piece of information looking forward for more. Are you planning to build a restaurant with a menu emphasizing on smoky, grilled flavors and seared proteins? If yes, then a reliable charbroiler is one of the kitchen tools that top your list. All from The Best Charbroilers

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great piece of information looking forward for more. If you think you may have hard water and you are searching for an effective solution to deal with it, you can get the best water softener to take care of this issue. All from Best Water Softeners

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful content. I am well informed now thank you so much. If you have a newborn baby in your home during winter, it would be wise for you to get a heating device. Getting such a gadget ensures that your baby’s room maintains a comfortable temperature, considering that infants are not great at regulating their body temperature. Get one from best heater for nursery .

    ReplyDelete
  17. I suggest all members choose my Android Application Development Company for the best Android Application Development. The perfect and expert assistant your requirement.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It’s an amazing piece of writing in support of all the web visitors; they will take advantage from it I am sure. Gone are the days when a standard 50-inch LCD screen was enough to make a movie night memorable. The home projector is now as affordable as ever, bringing family evening and date night to a whole new level. Then Visit Best 4K Projector Under 500 for more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enterprise It Solutions

    Well thanks for sharing such an interesting article.Perhaps it is well written but if you need any tips or writing help visit Sysbunny.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mobile Application Development Company

    Wow, Very effective tips. Thanks for sharing this wonderful and helpful material.
    This is such a great resource that you are providing. I love seeing this blog resource.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful article thanks for sharing. Babies develop at a moderately quick rate. As this development happens, parents need to get their infants suitable toys or gear during each stage. At the point when your infant begins to walk, you should get him or her a baby push walker that will help facilitate this progress. Learn more on Best Baby Push Walker

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love cats but I never gonna order this starter kits of the cat which seems to me very horrible and people should take care of it while ordering such thing because after that the people are not able to concentrate on assignments and hence they need the assignment help service to overcome the situation that is quite needed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Its a nice time with your blog post. Thanks for sharing this admiring and useful piece here. Click here coeikere cut off mark for economics

    ReplyDelete
  24. Its fantastic, fact-filled advice in this blog. It’s clearly and valid ideas shared; I believe its useful world while. Thank you for sharing. visit fce-eha-amufu cut off mark for fine and applied arts

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing your ideas in this nice article. I look forward to seeing you next time you visit this blog. Thanks so for sharing. past questions for jss1 basic science pdf

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment =)