Tuesday 28 August 2012

I hate my teeth. I love my parents and my health insurance. FML

I had an orthodontic appointment today. It was my first ever orthodontic appointment. Thus far, I don't like them. 

About a year ago I started having some pain under in my mouth about a year ago I think. Before long I had sprung a random tooth just on the inside my bottom teeth on the left side. It was as if I was growing a second row of bottom teeth, shark style. 

I got an x-ray at the dentist, who pulled a somewhat discouraging face upon seeing them. He showed the x-rays to a couple of oral surgeons who said it didn't need to be attended to straight away. 

Over the last few months I've started to notice my teeth moving around quite a bit. It has been a painful but I thought the best case scenario would be the surgical removal of the shark tooth and perhaps a plate for the moving teeth.

How wrong I was.

The random tooth came through all shark-like in my mouth because I never lost a couple of my baby tooth. Shark tooth is the adult tooth that has never had space to come through. Turns out the same thing has happened on the other side of my mouth, only it is stuck in an even weird spot in the gums underneath the baby tooth and my mother normal teeth.

My mouth
http://www.scaryforkids.com/shark-teeth/

So the long and the short of it is that I have to have six teeth removed; my top two wisdom teeth, the bottom baby teeth that never came out on their own AND the corresponding adult shark teeth. Yay. My bottom wisdom teeth will be left in and then they and my other teeth will be pulled across into the gap by braces. I will also be getting braces on my top teeth to correct the overcrowding creating by my wisdom teeth coming through.

I am 21 years old and I am about to get braces. 

This is what I will look like
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Braces-Nerd-GEEK-Dork-False-Teeth-/230818780046#ht_2382wt_906

I'm trying to focus on how lucky I am to have parents who love me, who provide me with exemplary health insurance and will take the financial hit to fix my rogue teeth.

That being said, I still want to cry a little bit.

Oh and I still don't know what I'm going to do next year, tertiary education wise, and I have to decide soon. This is making me panic. 

#firstworldproblems

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment =)